Sony TA-E9000ES Home Page
by Espen Braathen
Breaking news: The service manual and the service manual supplement
for the TA-E90000ES is now available for download. Due to the storage limit
set by my ISP I'm not able to offer the service manuals for the TA-P90000ES (5.1
analogue pre amplifier) and TA-N9000ES (power amplifier) at this point.
The Sony TA-E9000Es is a high performance AV Control Amplifier. This page has
been made to discuss the features and the technical details of this product. The
information is sourced from the users manual, a nice brochure made by Sony and
|The TA-E9000ES features 2 of Sony's newly developed 32-bit DSP LSIs
designed especially for Digital Cinema Processing, allowing you to
experience the full impact of 3 of Hollywood's leading dubbing theatres
with as few as 2 speakers. A separate 32-bit DSP enables exceptionally
accurate decoding of three of the most advanced multi-channel formats
available - Dolby Digital, dts and MPEG Multichannel.
As of this writing the TA-E9000ES has been more or less discontinued by Sony.
A replacement named TA-E10ES have been rumored to be in the works, but the
launch of the new control amplifier has been indefinitely delayed. Don't expect
any news on the TA-E10ES until 2003, if ever... Also, the model name may very
well be changed if Sony ever decides to release a new surround pre amplifier. At
the moment it looks like Sony is concentrating on making integrated home theater
amplifiers instead. Personally I have now switched my surround processing duties
to the Denon AVR-5803 (aka AVC-A1SR in Europe) THX Ultra2 A/V surround
Spesifications and features
- Dolby Digital decoding
- Dolby Pro Logic Surround decoding
- dts Digital Surround decoding
- MPEG Multichannel decoding
- Sony Digital Cinema Sound processing
- Analog Devices SHARC 32-bit DSP processor
- 96/24 Crystal DIR (Digital Input Receiver)
- Advanced Puse Conversion DACs with digital volume control
- 1 MB Flash Memory for easy firmware upgrades
Rear panelThe Sony TA-E9000Es supports 5 audio source products and 6
video source products. The control amplifier supports both composite and s-video
switching on all video product inputs.
- Audio products: Phono, Tuner, CD, MD/DAT, Tape
- Video products: Tv, DVD, LD, Video 1, Video 2, Video 3
- Digital audio inputs: CD (optical/coax), MD/DAT (optical), TV (optical),
DVD (optical/coax), LD (optical coax)
- Digital audio outputs: MD/DAT (optical)
- AC-3/RF input for Dolby Digital from LD
- Analyzer/Mic input (not supported yet)
- RS-232C connector for firmware upgrades
- Video Processor in/out loop
- Pre out: Front (left/right), Rear (left/right), center (2x) and subwoofer
Firmware upgradeThe firmware in the Sony TA-E9000ES can be upgraded by
connecting the RS-232C port on the back panel to a serial port on a PC with a
suitable inter-link cable. The binary firmware data is then downloaded to the
TA-E9000ES by a supplied FLASH overwriting program (included in the zip file
below). The firmware for the display, control and decoding sections can be
upgraded separately, however they are usually upgraded at the same time. The
upgrade takes about 5 minutes at a baude rate of 56700 kbps.
Checking method of the firmware version:Please follow this procedure to
check the firmware version.
- Press power switch to power on.
- Press AUTO FORMAT button.
- Turn knob counterclockwise.
- The display will be scrolled.
- If "TA-E9000ES Vn.nn*" is appeared as the last item, the Vn.nn* is the
version number. If "(scroll end)" is appeared as the last item, the version is
Contents of the modification (Ver 1.01A to Ver 1.10C):
- Decode delay (Lip sync. Malfunction) at playing Dolby Digital (AC-3)
has been modified.
- The problem of no sound from Rch of the rear speaker at Dolby Digital
(AC-3) [2/1], [3/1] mode has been improved.
- The problem with no sound from sub woofer when setting Pro Logic against
the signal with LFE at [2/0] of Dolby Digital (AC-3) has been improved.
- The clipping problem in case of entering full-scale signal to LFE during
dts play has been improved.
- The malfunction with incorrect information display when playing special
source of dts [2/0] has been improved.
- A function for version display when scrolled to the end of the stream
information display has been added.
- The display malfunction of incorrect PCM bit number at the stream
information display has been modified.
- Modified as the vocal sound comes from the front when playing Karaoke DVD.
- The malfunction that turns muting on when operation LEVEL menu with the
remote controller after released MUTING by rotating the volume knob while
MUTING is set has been modified.
- Digital filter dither value has been modified for sound improvement.
- New setting menu for using "one way remote commander" in CUSTOMIZE menu
has been added. (One way remote commander: RM-PP402 on sale in Jul/99 , etc)
- The malfunction of no sound from the rear when playing 3/1 or 2/1 mode has
Download firmware version 1.10c!
Contents of the modification (Ver 1.10C to Ver 1.18C):
- Details is unknown at this time.
Download firmware version 1.18c!
Contents of the modification (Ver 2.01):Additional Functions in Version
2.0 for the TA-E9000ES
NOTE: The new functions which have been added cannot be operated
with the two-way remote controller originally supplied with the TA-9000ES.
(Please use the remote controller supplied with the VUCD-E9000A Upgrade Kit for
the operation of the new functions or the TA-E9000ES front panel controls.)
- Digital Cinema Sound Function additions (7 modes)
- CINEMA STUDIO EX A (*1)
- CINEMA STUDIO EX B (*1)
- CINEMA STUDIO EX C (*1)
- VIRTUAL MATRIX 6.1 (*2)
- SEMI C.STUDIO EX A (*1)
- SEMI C.STUDIO EX B (*1)
- SEMI C.STUDIO EX C (*1)
*1: When this mode is selected, the EQ Bank function is not operative.
Within the set parameters of this mode, the surround equalizer settings (bass,
mid, treble) are the same as the following modes:
- CINEMA STUDIO EX A == VIRTUAL THEATER A
- CINEMA STUDIO EX B == VIRTUAL THEATER B
- CINEMA STUDIO EX C == VIRTUAL THEATER C
- SEMI C.STUDIO EX A == V.SEMI THEATER A
- SEMI C.STUDIO EX B == V.SEMI THEATER B
- SEMI C.STUDIO EX C == V.SEMI THEATER C
*2: In Virtual Matrix 6.1 mode, the surround equalizer function is not
- Speaker Setup Menu Function additions
- LFE High-Cut 40 Hz - 200 Hz
- Surround Setup Menu Function additions
*3: Operative for Cinema Studio EX A, B, C, and Semi-Cinema
Studio EX A, B, C
- VIRTUAL SP ON/OFF (*3)
- SCREEN DEPTH OFF/MID/DEEP (*3)
- SCREEN DEPTH OFF/ON (*4)
- REAR ENHANCER ON/OFF (*3)
- 6.1 MATRIX ON/OFF (*4)
*4: Operative for Virtual Matrix 6.1.
- Level Setting Menu Function additions
- HP Level +/-10dB function addition
- The upper limit for the LFE-MIX setting range has been extended from 0dB
to +6 dB
- Customize Setting Menu Function additions
- ABS.PHASE NORMAL/REVERSE functions added
- NOISE BAND STD/WIDE/NARROW functions added
- Input function for function names added (possible to load into remote
controller, up to 8 lines).
- When the power is turned on, the new version number is displayed.
Download firmware version 2.01c!
Download VUCD-E9000A Upgrade Kit User Manual
To install the new firmware you need a proper CD-key; this is only available
by contacting me directly by e-mail at this address: mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?Subject=E9000A
Key Request. Please use "E9000A" as the subject. You will usually receive
the CD-key within 24 hrs. Please read the VUCD-E9000A user manual before you
begin to update the firmware! The upgrade takes 4 min 44 sec 907 ms if you use
the maximal baud rate.
Contents of the modification (Ver 2.50):This firmware adds decoding of
MPEG-AAC audio as used by digital satellite broadcasting in Japan. This is the
only real upgrade offered in this firmware version. Details on possible bug
fixes from version 2.01 are unknown.
Download firmware version 2.50! (812 KB)
Send me a mail at mailto:email@example.com?Subject=E9000B
Key Request to receive the CD-key. Please use "E9000B" as the subject
(automatically selected if you use the link above). If you don't use this
subject the mail might get lost in my inboxes! You will usually receive the
CD-key within 24 hrs if you observe this simple rule. As before the VUCD-E9000A
user manual will give you the details on how to perform the upgrade in a safe
Official Upgrade Kits for the TA-E9000ES
The VUCD-E9000A kit consists of a CD-ROM disc with the version 2.01c
firmware, a RS-232C cable and a new remote control (RM-SU1). Retail price in
Japan is 15 000 yen. In my opinion the kit is not worth the asking price just to
get the new remote. The RM-SU1 is a rather simple remote and it's a shame Sony
could not come up with something more serious for the high price they charge for
this kit (100 to 150 USD).
The VUCD-E9000B kit consists of a CD-ROM disc with the version 2.5 firmware.
This adds the capability to decode MPEG-2 Advanced Audio Coding (AAC). This is
important in Japan as the local digital satellite brodcasting uses AAC as its
audio CODEC. More details on AAC can be found at the official AAC web site: http://www.aac-audio.com/ The
retail price for the "B" kit in Japan is 15 000 yen.
AAC - Store Less, Hear More
User Manuals DownloadThe following user manuals are downloadable as
Adobe Acrobat PDF-files:
TA-E9000ES AV Control Amplifier User Manual (1254 KB)
Sony VUCD-E9000A Upgrade Kit User Manual (2.01c firmware
details) (157 KB)
TA-N9000ES 5 Channel Power Amplifier User Manual (650 KB)
TA-P9000ES Multichannel Pre Amplifier User Manual (496 KB)
TA-P9000ES Multichannel Pre Amplifier User Manual Supplement (190 KB)
To download the desired user manual press the right mouse button on the
corresponding link above and activate the "Save Target As" option.
Service Manuals DownloadThe following service manuals are downloadable
as Adobe Acrobat PDF-files:
TA-E9000ES AV Control Amplifier Service Manual (15 MB)
TA-E9000ES AV Control Amplifier Service Manual Supplement (3 MB)
Due to the storage limit set by my ISP I'm not able to offer the service
manuals for the TA-P90000ES (5.1 analogue pre amplifier) and TA-N9000ES (power
amplifier) at this point.
The service manual supplement contains details on modifications made to the
power supply. I intend to post elaborate details on this soon.
The Sony TA-E9000ES features a Analog Devices 32-bit SHARC DSP for decoding
of multichannel audio formats (Dolby Digital, dts, MPEG, Pro Logic) and two Sony
32-bit DSP processors (CXD2712R) for Digital Cinema Sound processing. The volume
control operates in the digital domain.
Sony TA-E9000ES internal structure.
High-Precision A/D converter (CX8607).
converter system with digital volume control.
Block chart representing Sony's digital volume control
IC guideThe following is a guide to the IC's on the main assembly
||Analog Devices ADM202EARN
||Analog A/D front-end|
||High-Precision A/D Converter|
||Digital Input Receiver (96 kHz, 24 bit)|
||256 kbit High Speed Static RAM (32Kx8)|
||32 bit DSP (120 pin)|
||1 Mbit Asynchronous SRAM (128Kx8)|
||Interface chip for DSPs|
||Analog Devices SHARC KS-160
||32 bit floating point DSP (240 pin)|
||20 MHz 16 bit microcontroller with 128 KB flash memory|
||8 Mbit Flash Memory (1Mx8/512Kx16)|
||Full Feed Foward Digital Filter|
||Advanced Pulse D/A Converter|
||Current Pulse Converter|
||Static D/A Converter used in digital volume control|
|Analog Devices AD712
||High speed operational amplifier used in rear analog filter|
||256 kbit SRAM (32Kx8)|
Digital Cinema Sound
Virtual multi dimension mode.
Copyright 1999-2002 by Espen Braathen.
Last update: September 8, 2002.
Created using Allaire HomeSite